Gromit's Stunning Sweetness


I am a Virgo born in the year of the Ox. I am grounded to the earth right to the core. I think Gromit was born of Fairy Dust - in the year of the Giganticus Butterfly - that boy is all air and lightness. Even his affection is gentle, easy and fleeting. Silly boy!

I am not sure what could be sweeter than Gromit, fluffly white body curled around itself, tail hugging the front of his snout, laying gently on his front paws - eyes closed, and breathing evenly - asleep. When he wakes and puts his head up his hair is flat on one side of his face and his eyes do not open wide for a couple of seconds - looks like a bit like a cartoon.

I adore Gromit - Sometimes I just want to hug him - once in a while I indulge the urge and wrap my arms around his big chest and listen to his breathing, but it is a bit selfish - Gromit prefers his space - and so I try to give it to him and respect this simple request of his...lately he has taken to an evening snuggle - I don't know what this is about - he jumps up on the bed and lies down between Kristin and I and sighs waiting for some nice petting. Then he puts his chin on one of our shoulders and sleeps for about 15 minutes. That is about all he can handle - then he gets up and goes into Kristin's office and snoozes on the couch for the evening.

In the morning he stretches and yawns and groans until I brush my teeth and get dressed. Then he meets me at the top of the stairs. We, Gromit and I, encourage Chewie to go down the stairs as we wait at the top. I give Gromit the signal - a foot forward and I burst out "green light" - and we both start down the stairs and the I say "red light" and he stops and stretches again and waits for a little scratch on the very base of his back. I say green light and down we go, red light, we stop, green light and we both get to the bottom of the stairs. He wakes up this way and goes outside with Chewie. Not sure who likes this routine better, me or Gromit, but he always plays.

The sweetest relationship he has is with one of our cats - Schmadios, our Tortoise. Now both our cats are over 18 years old and weigh less than 10lbs. Schmadios had some strong opinions about our doodles at first. In her opinion she felt like they really were lacking manners and she was a bit put off by the whole addition to the family. She was right and she helped them learn some manners Now though, she and Gromit vie for the attention and evening snuggle. Gromit give her the space she wants and then ever so gently nuzzles that huge nose of his into her ear and licks it. She purrs and spins around to the other side. She can only handle one or two nuzzles and then like Gromit - that is enough and she must get away. But she likes him and talks to him, and sometimes when it is too much she screams at him.

Gromit in all his hugeness, has some pretty impressive small muscle control - he has a stunning sweetness with Schmadios - he sits back and gives her space. He is gentle with his nose, gentle with his breath, light with his tongue and knows when she can't tolerate him. He doesn't want his snuggle at her expense. But he does want her to know he is there - he likes his pack. She, on the other hand, like her posse. Ha - cats and dogs - there in lies the difference!


Comments

Popular Posts