Vroom, vroom - groom groom -


Rarely does a day go by now when I am not very very thankful that I have a job in this financial climate - at a bank no less. In many ways I consider myself lucky because I know that in today's climate you can do whatever you want to earn your way, but it in the end it makes little difference. People that deserve jobs don't have them. And I don't deserve a job anymore than many people out there who don't have a job. So yes, I consider myself lucky. I like to think I have a good work ethic, but that no longer means I deserve my job.

We made some budget decisions in 2009. Like a lot of people, we felt like we had to cut some of the fat out of our budget. We started cooking more at home and eating out less often. We also cut our pet budget. We stopped paying a dog walker and started dedicating more time to the boys. Now we split it 3 days for Kristin and four days for me. She picks up extra days, though. With Gromit's recent back situation we have been walking them on leashes only - no dog parks. Kristin was really against this at first. She didn't see him fall at the dog park like I did - he looked like a thoroughbred in a race that suddenly blew out a knee or something, his knee buckled and he skidded across a sheet of ice on it clawing on the ice as his back legs splayed and swung around him - I don't think I inhaled again until he stood back up and shook himself off - it seemed like it took forever - but I am sure it was just a second or two - once I knew his back was hurt I could not stand the thought of it happening again so frankly I was a little relieved when the vet said no dog park for a couple of weeks.... Suffice it to say though, that Kristin and I lack the Dog Whisper technique in walking both dogs at the same time - she walks and remains patient using a chant methodology to focus her energy on lightness - "I love my dogs, I love my dogs, I love my dogs" even if they do bark at nothing while we walk through the neighborhood. Kristin believe it is possible that the boys break the noise ordinance during their walks about 5 times in each hour long walk. I on the other hand prefer to walk the dogs separately to avoid the stress of them acting out. This is usually successful with Chewie. Gromit tries really hard but we still have our moments and he insists on barking at cars that are noisy? Why they bother him more than his own obnoxious high pitched bark I will never understand.

We also started grooming the dogs ourselves.

This grooming decision has been something of a feat with the boys. I did watch the dvd that came with the clippers and also got a dog grooming for dummies book. I have to say though, there are no examples of Doodles in any books - because they have no breed standard - LOL! There is something very funny about that when I think of Gromit and Chewie because they are not your average doodle either!

They could so care less about looking beautiful. The dogs really have no idea what is going on with this pink clipper situation, but they tolerate it pretty well. Yesterday was a grooming day. All total, it took us about 4 hours to get the boys clipped. We started the night before by brushing Gromit. Then we sat down with Gromit first. That poor guy, he takes forever to trim. He was fairly patient with his face and ears and body. Then we gave him a break and took on Chewie. Now grooming Chewie is kind of funny because he has a really easy coat to brush and groom - but he loves to be brushed - like comes and stands next to you while you are brushing Gromit - "i am here, I am standing, I am ready for you to brush me me me!!" So it is almost like we have to clip Chewie wether he needs it or not just to help with the jealousy of Gromit getting attention that he might not get. He tolerates the grooming pretty well but does not appreciate the noise that the clippers make. He let us get in between his pads and in his ears and down his legs, all the places that really bug Gromit. So Gromit becomes a two session dog. After we finished Chewie we rounded Gromit back up and finished his legs, stomach and feet - he hates having his feet touched so it was a bit of a challenge but we got him done.

Afterwards, Kristin and I looked at the boys - like we have said four times in the past 8 months, we repeated ourselves again - Gromit really needs to go to a groomer, but Chewie looks pretty good. I think if you interpret this correctly what we really meant was - Chewie looks better than Gromit - which does not necessarily mean that he looks good. Who knows, and thank goodness they don't care. They still act just the same after being groomed.

Really though, our metrosexual and marlboro dogs are exhausted after getting groomed. They really wishes we could move faster through this whole process - from their minds eye all of life is the same - "vroom vroom" they love driving life and really do their best to get Kristin and I to put the clipper pedal to the medal - Groom Groom girls - there are so many other things to do!

Comments

Popular Posts