The Loyal Chewie


As a kid and as an adult I have always loved a quiet walk in the woods or a solo paddle on a lake.  I adore trail running.  Sure trail running races are fine, but I really like a quiet trail run with just myself, some music or not and my dog.

I remember one Valentine's weekend.  A friend of mine managed a resort in northern Wisconsin.  She asked if I could watch the resort so she could take the weekend off.  I didn't have to do anything really.  Just hung out and enjoyed the quiet and the woods and took care of the animals.  She had a dog that was likely a springer spaniel and golden retriever mix.  His name was Bailey.

Bailey was mostly red with a few white splashes on his chest and white around his nose.   He had three red spots on his nose that looked like Orion's belt in the night sky.   He had those deep brown soft eyes of a golden retriever.   The ones that have eyelashes.  When he walked he had a rather obvious swish in his gait.   Bailey was about the sweetest dog that ever lived.     I am not sure he even caught flies when they bugged him, he simply thumped his big swishy tail and the breeze moved them on their way.  He and our cat Tiace grew up together and he was the reason she adored big dogs, I am sure of it.

During my stay at the resort, there was a beautiful clear night sky with stars that were big and bright and blended together.  It was dark enough that the moon could light the gravel road enough to walk it.  Bailey and I finished dinner and chores and went for a walk down the gravel road in the soft winter night.  I put on some winter boots and a hat and mittens.  We headed out, not too cold but you could hear my boots with each step and see our breath like steam in the air.

As we walked I heard a vehicle in the distance possibly coming down the road.   I called Bailey to my side and was readying his leash.  Bailey came and we stopped to wait for what turned out to be a big truck to pass us.  Then I could see the headlights.   But it didn't go by us -  it skidded to a stop right in front of us.  It was hard to adjust my eyes and focus past the headlights.  The driver side window came down and the smoke from inside the truck billowed out and wrecked the crisp clear night air.  There was a huge man in the truck with a hunting hat on and a bristly unshaven face.  He half mumbled and asked me if I wanted a ride.  I said no thanks.  Then he opened his door to get out and started walking towards me.  I remember a flash of maybe he doesn't understand me so I started to say no thank you again, .....  but he was clearly drunk and I tried to assure myself that I was faster than him and I could get away.

This guy was not in my plan for the nice evening walk, that is for sure.  He was a big guy, his chest almost touched his chin and as I was thinking about my next action - Bailey stood at my side, moved forward and lifted his head very intently and growled.  I had never ever heard Bailey utter this sound.  He growled until the man was startled into a bit of sobriety and he got back in his truck and spun out fast heading in the direction of the bar at the end of the road.  I am pretty sure Bailey saved me from a hassle that night.  I am not sure a man that drunk was cause for too much drama but my heart was still beating fast when we got back to the resort.

This experience pretty much changed my running and hiking strategy permanently.  Even in the middle of the city I still like to have a dog with me on my runs.  

I wanted a labradoodle for many reasons but with Gromit I thought I would have a great running dog.  I looked at them long before they were considered popular.  He was weather hardy and could tolerate both winter and summer.  He was lanky and loved to run.  However, he could not behave forever.   I believe I have mentioned a time or a thousand that Gromit is not prone to good natured loose leash behavior.Furthermore, he is like a soccer or basketball athlete - he loves to sprint and run in spurts.  He was not mentally made for the endurance, pacing is not in his agenda.  Mostly what makes Gromit the wrong choice for running with me is that he is not interested in running withe me - he prefers to run period.  That is when he gets that big old Gromit smile on.  Oh well.  

Once again, Chewie to the surprising rescue.  I have been doing agility training for about year and half now.  He is excellent on his leash.  He runs with me in the winter, spring and fall.  He is not weather hardy for heat though.  I have to stop running with him when the temp outside hits about 70.    He understands endurance and how to reserve energy.


Agility has helped him with trail running.  Just this year we finally made it over the notorious grate on the trail next to the river.  He avoided that five paces of the trail in winter spring and fall - remembering it when you couldn't see it through the snow or the mud - he would bark at me and run to the side to avoid touching that grate with his precious paws!.  This spring - he ran right over it - after five years - he finally decided it was safe.

I have trained him a bit on his leash as well - when he sees a person coming towards us, a bike or runner, he comes to my side and makes eye contact until they are by us.  At first I didn't really think he had this down - but then one day I had my head phones on and he suddenly came to my side- I looked up and there was no one in front of us.  I gave him a pat and said "okay" our word for go on ahead - and he stayed there and gave me the bossy pants look - suddenly a bike passed us from behind.  Aha - I gave him a treat and congratulated him on his smartness.

I thought perhaps what I witnessed was a coincidence.  However, he has made a fairly consistent habit of this activity when people are in front or behind us.  Most recently he has generalized this to cars when we cross bridges ... he stays at my side until there are no more to be seen.    At first I thought I shouldn't make him do this same thing for cars but then I thought - hey, this is nice if he comes to my side when there are cars - I like that.  I wouldn't risk it without his leash though - but just in case he gets loose or something crazier.

Anyway - I am looking for spots for us to go run together in the wilderness where there is shade and water.   Places where he can come back to me if there is someone but does not have to worry about paying attention to me so closely.  We sometimes have to mix up off and on leash paths to get a full run in.    I am very happy to be running with the Chew Bug.   Who knew he was going to be my running buddy.  The best part about it is how proud he looks when he runs with me "- my Heidi, my person - I am working with Heidi - " - that is my Loyal Chewie.

Comments

Popular Posts