Picking a New Game

If you have watched me on FaceBook you know that Gromit has feigned boredom in his life this week.  If someone walked into our house they would think I have mellow mopey laid back labradoodle.

Here are a couple of reposted photos that 'say it all.'




If you know Gromit at all...well you know this is not the case!

Suffice it to say he gets activity in his day.  I or my brother insure a walk or the dog park everyday for Gromit.  If it is too hot there might be other activities.  Kristin has been working from home this week which means Gromit sits out on the porch and tracks the goings and comings of the squirrels and birds that stop in to drink water from the pond or take a bath in the waterfall in addition to the daily e  Gromit also has nose work class every week and we have been practicing with our friend Emme during the week.  Finally, to spice up his life we add marrow bones, Frosty Paws and have unintended treats - a jar of peanut butter from the counter, or a spatula front he sink.

Gromit does have a pension for routing about in the kitchen sink before the dishes from dinner are cleaned.  He is also known to keep an eye out for an open door to the pantry providing an opportunity for a quick yank of some fowl smelling morsel loose at the top of the garbage.

Thinking about starting a new game with Gromit to give him his own containers for routing instead of using the garbage in the pantry and the counter in the kitchen.  I think the fun for both of us may make the game worth it.  I am going to start purchasing small step on pop up lid containers to place around the house. ... And then I am going to randomly put things in those containers.  And the game will be for him to find things in the containers.  I thought this would be fun because the containers can get moved around, I can add new containers and remove some and they can travel with us if need be.  Gromit already knows how to make toast with his nose.  So he has the push the lever down game going for him - he can do with his nose or his paw.

So why am I blogging about this?  I actually was wondering if this is a totally bad idea to try to make his game into a game that I have more charge over?  Basically he will be learning how to open trash cans - anyone have another idea of what I could use instead of trash cans?  Not that he doesn't already know how to do this...but is not a regular skill.  The challenge of opening the lid is vital so just an open box wouldn't be enough.  I will go on the lookout for toys that do this - but not seeing things that do that without like a popup jack in the box.  Don't think the element of surprise is going to work so well - Just looking for fun conversation about this - any other thoughts?  I was hoping to give him something he could play unexpectedly - not always initiating the game but just setting up whenever he wasn't looking.

Also, he does not like toys - so hiding one toy in a million places is not something that would interest him.  We do some hide and seek but it only lasts for a few minutes.




Comments

  1. Debbie, Sundog, and BarneyJuly 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

    Sometimes I use a box with Sundog. A shoebox or a box with flaps. You can up the intensity by putting the closed box upside down or by folding the flaps on a box. Or you can put a box within a box. She loves loves loves getting into boxes. Literally and figuratively.

    I see nothing wrong with using the pop-up garbage containers. I don't think it will add any extra bad habits :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts