See what Gromit sees...while Chewie retrieves

Hmm - this past week we have been busy - two times to the MN State Fair, one fun birthday gathering, a pool party with some great gals, visiting with my parents and brother and his wife, visiting my 92 year old aunt in the hospital as she is recovering from smoke inhalation - from a fire in her house, helping another friend build a chicken coop, baking bread and somewhere in the middle of all this my boss seems to think I should work 50-60 hours a week....

In the middle of all this activity I popped Gromit up on the agility toy storage box in the back yard to see if I could trim a bit of fur from him and 2 hours later he was accidentally shaved - his nails were trimmed and Chewie wanted in on the action. Part of trimming Gromit is to get the hair out of his eyes, but I really didn't have a full body clipping in mind - suffice it to say that he can now see.

Gromit has been called sensitive by a number of people - animal communicators, dog trainers, myself and some of our friends as well. I am also thinking that perhaps there are some dogs at the dog park that think he is a bit sensitive as well but I can't be sure - He is sensitive to his environment, touch, sounds and smell - or maybe he is direct and more of an extrovert when he notices things - if I bring a bag home from a store, he always has his nose in the bag as he greets me - kind of keeps moving toward me with his head in the bag . Chewie usually steps back if I have something in my hands and then announces his greeting along with a warning, stepping back, stepping sideways, wagging his tail and barking - trying to stay close but only so close.

This week, Gromit was in the living room with me when I was watching "It's Me or the Dog" and there was some growling, barking and whimpering on the show - Gromit who was snoozing on the floor next to me, shot his head up in the air and once he understood where the noise was coming from he jumped up and ran toward the tv - I think it was the whimpering that really got to him - he was over there and stood watching until things quieted down on the television. Before he was abe to completely let go of the television puppy disturbance, he groaned, yawned and then layed down - still glued to the set. Good thing I trimmed those bangs

I also took the boys to the dog park on Friday evening. I took them to the large dog park at the airport. The airport is short a runway while they are doing some repair work so the runway closest to the dog park had jets lining up for take off. Normally the dogs don't notice this but tonight we were walking to the top of a slight hill and Gromit looked over and there was a big Herc heading down the runway towards us - and Gromit stopped looked at the plane and looked back at me and then stood and watched the plane turn and take off - kind of looked like the end of a Walt Disney movie - he was so interested. I haven't see a dog interested in the runway like that.

Today when we were at the dog park Gromit met up with a good looking young Airdale - I thought he would play with her because she would be his speed in terms of smart and strong - but he saw her and slowed down and touched noses with her. I stopped to talk with the dog's person and it turns out the Airdale had hip dysplasia - mild but still - no wonder Gromit changed his approach. Times like this when I just think he is the sweetest of pups.

He has also been doing this silly herding tactic where he lays down in the grass when a small dog approaches. I am not sure exactly what he is doing but it is disarming to me...so maybe it helps the small schnoodles and jack russells that will walk up to him while he waits. I am not sure I think this is sensitivity but it is interesting none the less.

I have also decided that I have figured out what Gromit's job can be in our house. I have puzzled over this for quite some time - what do you give a non-retrieving, non-herding, hunting breed to do for work in a pacificst house??? Well he does herd our cat Schmadios, but I have nothing to do with that. His job is going to be to grab the phone and bring it to me when it rings. We are starting very small here - but I figure he so loves learning I can make baby steps and he will enjoy it all the more.

So Gromit has shorter bangs, a shorter coat and for whatever reason I can see him looking at more things....him...Chewie - continues to bring me his ball.

Comments

Popular Posts